Does Your Lesson T.E.A.C.H.?

Posted by Word Alive International Outreach | | Posted on 1:22 PM

Do Your Lessons TEACH?
Kurt Johnston

It pains me to admit this, but on "rare" occasions (say, three times a month!), my junior high lessons miss the mark. I'm sharper than most, so I've learned to spot the very subtle signs: students snoring in the front row, paper airplanes flying through the room, glazed-over eyes staring into space as drool slowly drips from the mouth.

While there's certainly no magic formula for teaching success, here's a filter that's helped me: I evaluate each lesson by looking at what I've prepared and asking myself, Does this lesson T.E.A.C.H.?

Is it True? Is it biblically sound? Are verses used in context? Is the whole Scripture considered? I've fallen into the trap many times of starting with my version of truth or my "soapbox" of the moment and then searching the Scriptures for a verse that seems to back it up.

Is it Encouraging? Does this lesson motivate and encourage students toward some sort of action or commitment? If I'm teaching a hard truth, am I doing so in an encouraging way? Remember, it's the good news!

Is it Applicable? Does this study or lesson apply to the world of a junior higher? Have I made the effort to make the biblical truth actually true to them? Does this lesson equip them to live out their faith beyond the walls of the church?

Is it Clear? Is this lesson easily understood? Is the main point clear? Is it logical? Does it make sense? Does it have a "flow"?

Is it Humorous? You don't have to be drop-dead funny, but junior highers like to laugh, and they like to have fun. They expect Bible studies to be boring...surprise them by adding a few humorous stories and some fun interaction. When students are smiling and laughing with each other during your lesson, they're also learning more.

This is what I've learned: Just because I'm talking, I'm not necessarily teaching; and just because I'm teaching, students aren't necessarily learning. Eyes still glaze over occasionally, but there's much less drool.

Comments (0)